As discussed previously, my son attends special education preschool five days a week. I still do some at home preschool stuff with him any ways. For example since there is no school this week due to weather I still feel like there is no reason as to why he can not do something educational. Here is a list of things that we do:
- Calendar work- Day of the week and month
- Names- Recognition of his name as well as family member’s names
- Name letter of the week, say the sound it makes, say things that start with that letter. We also do a letter activity on Fridays.
- Name number of the week and/or do a number mat (number mat depends on his mood that day)
- Name shape
- Look at sight word of the week
- Tracing- Name, shapes, letter, number and sight word.
I use materials from a work book I picked up from Target as well as printouts from Kid Sparkz. This is a wonderful web site that has a ton of themes and learning materials that go with them. I would highly recommend the site if you are a home daycare provider looking to add educational activities and themes for the older kids or you are a parent looking to do at home preschool stuff like me.
I am not an expert by any means so my list of things that I do with my son might not be good or what other people would do with their preschoolers but this is what works for us!