It really bothers me that I can’t take vitamin D and zinc anymore. This is due to the fact that they make me feel sick to my stomach. Out of all of the supplements, these ones are usually recommended and considered to help the immune system (see here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5949172/ ).
Back when I used to be able to take supplements, I was really healthy and very rarely got sick. Ever since I got pregnant and gave birth, my immune system has not been good at all. I really want to be able to take vitamin D and Zinc so that I don’t get sick as much.
There are other ways to boost your immune system
I have been looking up ways that I can get my immune system in tip-top shape without the use of vitamin supplements. Here is a list of things that are said to help a person not get sick very much:
- Regular exercise- Check!
- Hand washing- Check!
- Get good quality sleep- Nope!
- Keep a healthy weight/BMI- Check!
- Eat a diet that is full of immune system boosting food- Sort of?
- Don’t smoke- Check! Yuck!
- Reduce stress in your life- Check!
As you can see I need to work on getting better sleep and work on my diet some more. The time to get started on this is now!
What I am going to do
In regards to sleeping, I will be trying to make 10:00 PM my bed time and set my alarm for 7:00 AM. Right now I am going to bed at on average 1:00 AM and getting up at 5:00 AM. That is bad!
I found a wonderful list of foods that are supposed to help me reach my goal of boosting my immune system (see here: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322412.php ). From that list I will be consuming the following things:
- Berries-Lots of antioxidants. I will eat them with Stevia and a couple squirts of whip cream.
- Broccoli- High in vitamin C. I have always liked this vegetable. I can definitely eat it everyday.
- Ginger- I already take ginger capsules everyday. I will continue to do so but I do not think it really helps to prevent anything.
- Garlic- We stopped purchasing garlic due to my husband being allergic to it. I will start using it again but just on my food.
- Green tea- I used to drink a ton of this stuff. Knowing that it is good for the immune system is making me want to start drinking it again. I think I will go for this one: https://www.republicoftea.com/organic-immunity-supergreen-tea-bags/p/v20369/dpn/40913/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp40913&sc_intid=40913&gclid=CjwKCAjw98rpBRAuEiwALmo-ylnJcj71Z1JVnX8GZ8tXEVKDMjrTgZqqAhEF6_oWGWR6uH64CgWoKBoCOiwQAvD_BwE
- Citrus fruits- I am going to be putting lemon slices in my water as well as eating oranges.
- Elderberry- This was not on that list but I will start taking some everyday.
- Rosemary, thyme and oregano- These were not on the list but I will be using them in my food a lot because they are said to help as well.
The sleep and diet changes will also be combined with my use of colostrum supplements which may help immunity too.
I am also going to get my flu shot this year! I have not gotten it for the past two years and have gotten the flu both years in January. Ugh!